Xylitol is a sugar substitute used in a variety of foods, including some of dogs' favorite treats like peanut butter. Xylitol is much more toxic to dogs than chocolate. This is because it doesn't take much to cause damage. “It is estimated that as little as 3 grams, roughly the amount found in 8 to 10 pieces of some gum , can kill a 65-pound dog. You'd likely need far less for smaller lap dogs.”
Within hours of consuming, often 30 minutes or less, dogs can experience “a dramatic surge in insulin, resulting in a precipitous drop in blood sugar levels. The result can be weakness, lethargy, seizures and collapse. Without immediate treatment, brain trauma can result in death.”
Before giving any foods to your dog, read the labels and keep any products with Xylitol away from your beloved pet. If you do believe they have gotten a hold of anything with Xylitol, contact your vet immediately or call the 24/7 Animal Poison Control Center at 1-855-764-7661.
Keeping Your Dog Safe This HalloweenIt is important to understand that Halloween is not a good night to break out a bark control device, as the stress of the night is going to take precedence over any corrections you try to implement.
Pumpkin Spice and Everything Nice!The holidays are coming, and soon your house will be filled with the sound of family, friends, and trick-or-treaters at your door – as well as the smell of delicious food wafting from the kitchen.
Pro Tips for Using the Dog SilencerWith these tips, you can use the Dog Silencer® like a Good Life Bark Control Expert.
The Original and Real Pit BullThe pit bull has to be one of the most, if not the most, controversial dog breeds there are. Putting aside feelings and politics, let's look at the history of this misunderstood animal.
Working Like a Dog – Service DogsThis Labor Day we wanted to focus the spotlight on service dogs, as well as to offer a better understanding of the law and how we as a community can protect the rights of these dogs and their handlers.